Our doors opened in July 2013. We knew from the beginning we wanted to give clients faster access to an attorney and get all IP needs met with professional care from our entire team. Over the years we have worked tirelessly to give our clients the attention they need to get things done right the first time. Collaboration is a big part of our firm culture, and we love collaborating with our clients. We seek to understand the product to be protected as well as the person creating it.
Michael E. ”Roby” Robinson
Patent Attorney, Partner
Before law school, Roby was employed as a sales and consulting engineer for Nalco (formerly known as Nalco Chemical Company under the ownership of Suez; now Nalco is an Ecolab company). While with Nalco, Roby consulted with various facilities regarding their heat exchange equipment including chillers, boilers, and chill/steam loops. His responsibility as a consultant was to help keep the equipment working efficiently using state-of-the-art proprietary chemicals, various control technologies, and his own engineering knowledge. The chemicals he worked with included anti-scaling agents, anti-corrosion agents, and anti-bacterial agents, many of which were developed by Nalco. Some of Roby’s clients while with Nalco included the McKinley Climatic Laboratory at Eglin Air Force Base; Fort Rucker outside of Daleville, Alabama; Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, Florida; Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, Mississippi; the United States Naval Air Station in Pensacola, Florida; and the Honeywell Friction Materials plant in Lynn Haven, Florida.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering from Auburn University – 2000
- Minor in Music from Auburn University – 2000
- Doctor of Jurisprudence (Cum Laude) from The University of Tennessee College of Law – 2005
- Tennessee Bar, 2005
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, 2006
- Georgia Bar, 2011
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee, 2006
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2011
- Top Attorney for Intellectual Property/Trademarks in the July-August 2022 edition of CityView Magazine
- Top Attorney for Intellectual Property in the July-August 2012 edition of CityView Magazine
- Top Attorney for Patent Law in the July-August 2013 edition of CityView Magazine
- Top Attorney for Intellectual Property/Trademarks in the July-August 2014 edition of CityView Magazine
- Top Attorney for Intellectual Property/Trademarks in the July-August 2015 edition of CityView Magazine
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Patent Law Academic Excellence Award
- Patent Prosecution & Drafting Academic Excellence Award
- Eagle Scout award recipient
William C. "Bill" Pannell
Patent Attorney, Partner
Bill Pannell’s professional experience as an engineer helps him to assess mechanical inventions and effectively draft and prosecute patents. Before becoming a patent attorney, he worked as a Machine Automation Design Engineer, where he designed and manufactured OEM automated packaging machinery for the food service disposal industry. Bill also worked as an HVAC Commissioning and Design Engineer, where he inspected, evaluated, and designed HVAC systems for government facilities and military bases.
Bill works closely with corporate, university, and individual clients to protect their intellectual property rights. Bill has experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications in a variety of technologies, such as automotive safety, tools, medical devices, manufacturing processes, fluid flows, construction, additive manufacturing, HVAC, electric motors, and controls.
Bill received his law degree from the University of Memphis School of Law and has a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Virginia Tech. While studying at the University of Memphis Law School, Bill served as Articles Editor with the University of Memphis Law Review. Bill also worked as a judicial intern at the Federal District Court for the Western District of Tennessee under Senior District Judge Jon P. McCalla and District Judge S. Thomas Anderson. When he’s not working, Bill enjoys woodworking, cooking, and spending time with his wife and kids.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from Virginia Tech – 2007
- Doctor of Jurisprudence (Magna Cum Laude) from the University of Memphis—Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law – 2016
- Tennessee Bar – 2016
- Georgia Bar – 2018
- United States Patent and Trademark Office – 2016
- Georgia Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
- Georgia PATENTS
Any process surrounding Intellectual Property Law can be challenging. Kristin presents a calm, helpful, and supportive demeanor as she handles a client’s need while patiently explains procedures and next steps.
Kristin graduated Magna Cum Laude from Walters State Community College in 2012 with a degree in Paralegal Studies. Outside of the office she likes to play her guitar, support local music, hike the Great Smoky Mountains, and travel with her husband, Andy.
Office & Accounts Manager
Whitney joined Robinson IP Law, PLLC in 2018. Though she is the newest member of the firm, she has definitely made her presence known to everyone in the office and to our clients. She has a contagious personality and an impeccable work ethic. She is the first person you will talk to when you call the office, and you will immediately be met with professionalism and a willingness to help.
Whitney’s extensive work background started seven years ago in the hospitality and entertainment industry. She has always moved up to management within a few months when starting any position, and that is no surprise to us. She loves business operations and efficiency.
In her spare time, she acts on her greatest passion – love of animals. She has been a full-time foster, coordinated adoption events, trained volunteers, and recruited other fosters. She has personally fostered 300 cats and helped over 250 of these find permanent homes. Whitney also loves to hike, participate in her bible studies, hang out with her friends, and complete puzzles.